Table of Contents
Tom Yum Soup is a famous Thai dish in the world, and it is a mixture of flexible spices and sour flavors which makes it so hot. It is made up of different types of ingredients, such as lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, galangal, chili peppers, and shrimp or chicken. This soup is not only flavorful but also very healthy and packed with nutrients and antioxidants. If you are a big fan of Thai cuisine and want to learn how to cook Tom Yum Soup in your comfort zone, you are at the right place. You may follow the step-by-step guide below to understand the cooking process of Tom Yum soup Best Thai Restaurant in Dubai.
TOM YUM SOUP INGREDIENTS
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 lemongrass stalk, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 thumb-sized piece of galangal, grated or minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili paste (such as Sriracha)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 1 cup cooked rice noodles
- Cilantro leaves for garnish
8 Easy Steps to Cook Tom Yum Soup Thai
Tom Yum Soup is a traditional Thai soup that has great flavor and a refreshing taste. With its combination of tangy and spicy saucy ingredients, this soup is a mouth-watering dish that is perfect for any occasion.
- Take the saucepan and pour the vegetable oil onto the medium heat.
- Now, add the lemongrass, garlic, shallot, and galangal into the saucepan and cook for 2-3 minutes until the flavors are fragrant.
- Add some lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and chili paste to it. And cook for another few minutes, giving a yummy flavor to meld.
- Add the chicken broth into the same saucepan and bring to a boil. Allow it to boil for 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, cherry tomatoes, shrimp, and cabbage to the saucepan. Cook for 5-7 minutes more until the shrimp is pink and the vegetables are tender.
- Now, stir in the cooked rice noodles and let them heat through about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and serve the Tom Yum Soup in the bowls.
- Garnish each bowl with cilantro leaves.
What are the essential ingredients for Tom Yum Soup?
The essential ingredients for Tom Yum Soup include:
- Kaffir lime leaves
- Lime juice
- Shrimp and fish sauce
- Coconut milk
How to prepare the lemongrass and galangal?
Lemongrass and galangal are tough, and that’s why you need to prepare properly. You can also chop lemongrass and galangal finely and pound these 2 into paste herbs using a mortar and pestle.
Should I use fresh kaffir lime leaves?
Yes, fresh kaffir lime leaves have the best flavor that I felt, and you can also find these leaves at your nearest Asian grocery stores easily.
Can I substitute lime zest for lime juice?
Yes, you can substitute lime zest for lime juice, but the flavor will not be as strong.
What type of fish sauce should I use?
There are many different types of fish sauce available in the local market. But the best type to use for Tom Yum Soup is a Thai fish sauce.
What is the difference between Tom Yum Goong and Tom Yum Gai?
Tom Yum Goong is made with shrimp, while Tom Yum Gai is made with chicken.
How to make Tom Yum Soup spicier?
You can make Tom Yum Soup spicier if you add more chili peppers or a spicier type of chili pepper into it.